A view into the life of a man who is trying to do what God wants him to do, love his wife passionately and raise his boys to be outstanding men.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Already and the Not Yet

The week between Christmas and the New Year is one of my favourites! As a pastor, I longed for this week and could hardly wait for the Sabbath that I made this week to be.
This year, I am not a pastor, feel exhausted, and just really long for a day to be alone all by myself with God - the realities of my new life are taking over.
So this morning, as I drove to work all by myself, I had the experience of a short Sabbath, a few moments alone with God where I felt refreshed, encouraged, challenged and a godly humility.
The miracle of the babe that was born in the manger, is a miracle, a miracle that I like to transform me and prepare me fresh and new for each new calendar year. In the midst of everyday, commonness, loneliness, Christ entered our world surrended by animals, I am assuming a stench from those animals, noise, and the first people that came to visit this King were lowly shepherds. Stinky, mangy, awkward shepherds coming and worshipping this newborn King. I am just like those shepherds, I hate to admit it, but I am, and on the way to work this morning, I felt how lowly, how stinky, how awkward I can be - I realized the already of my faith, but the not yet realization of it - while I am here on this earth and I am in relationship with my God, I still struggle, I still sin, I still think wrong thoughts, my motives are often selfish, even if I claim to be selfless - but the not yet will happen when I see him face to face and I am relieved of this world's pain and chains.
So this morning between Lacombe and Tees in a 2002 white mini-van, I was transformed and changed - in humility I once again realized my need for God and for a brief moment, I experienced Sabbath - a peace that is deep and has been continuous for the day. I pray that my quiet time with God each day may be like that. When I got to the office, I opened up my big book of AA and found the third step, "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God." In humility and humbleness, may that be my prayer God - Amen and amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home